Not sure what style suits you? Check out our class styles below...
Jazz dancing is a form of dance that showcases a dancer's individual style and originality. Students will learn a range of technical movements such as chaine turns, pirouettes, jetes and kicks. Jazz dancing is energetic and fun, and may vary in theme anywhere from street jazz to broadway.
- At Bodyrock Jazz classes are offered to all students from school age (juniors) - Adult
Modern dance gives dancers a chance to enjoy ballet dancing, but without a strict syllabus as found in classical ballet.
The integration of contemporary dance encourages dancers to explore their emotions to convey a feeling or tell a story.
Often termed 'neo classical' the fusion of these styles is often influenced by the technique of ballet, jazz or lyrical.
Modern/Contemporary dance can range in style anywhere from structured to abstract.
* Often seen on tv dance shows - such as So You Think You Can Dance - this style of dancing is becoming ever more popular among todays dancers.
- At Bodyrock Modern/Contemporary classes are offered to students from pre teens - Adult
Hip-hop is a very energetic form of dancing. It is unique because it allows dancers to perform with freedom of movement, adding in their own personalities.
The first dance associated with hip-hop was break dancing. Yet while breakdancing consists mostly of moves close to the ground, the majority of hip-hop moves are performed standing up. Hip hop can involve loose movements to more precise isolations: where dancers control and move specific parts of their bodies.
The 1980's saw the emergence of hip hop dance into many rap videos. Later on house music saw hip hop re-invent itself again with a broader range of influences and freer expression.
Hip hop dancing evolved alongside hip hop music — in the 80's and 90s we had the Running Man and the Cabbage Patch, in the 2000s the Soulja Boy and the Dougie. Today, Hip Hop has many individualized styles.
- At Bodyrock hip hop classes are available to students from pre teen - Adult.
There are different kinds of cheerleading. At Bodyrock we focus on pom/drill cheer, which incorporates the use of dance, formations, drills, and pom poms.
* Miss Michelle specialises in this style - which is similar to that seen at most football games. (Miss Michelle was also the coach of the Newcastle Knights Cheersquad for 7 years - so if you have ever seen the cheerleaders at the football, that is the style you will learn with us).
Pom/drill Cheerleading differs from other cheerleading in that it does not incorporate stunts, but uses pom-poms in all its dance routines. It can also be fun and challenging, as dancers will combine their dance technique, flexibility, and coordination to perform high energy routines that dazzle the eye!
- At Bodyrock cheerleading classes are available to students aged 5 years - Adult.